Monday, May 20, 2013

Which way should I go?

 
I don't know about you, but I am directionally challenged.
I turn right instead of left. I miss the exit. I get on the wrong highway.
Finding my way around unknown places often creates problems for me.
Not knowing where you are or really where you are going, is not a good feeling.
If you don't know your way, how can you expect to get to the place where you need to be?
 
Side-note: this past weekend I went on a mini road trip and guess what?
I did NOT get lost AND I didn't even use GPS!
(That was really exciting for me.)
That hardly ever happens though. I digress.
 
Anyway, finding the right way, staying on the right track, and ending up at your final destination can cause some anxiety (at least for me it does).
This reminds me of scripture.
 
In 1 Kings, we read a lot about God's ways versus our ways, as well as many other places in the Bible.
1 Kings 11:33 - "...They have not walked in My ways, doing what is right in My sight and observing My statutes and My ordinances..."
 
It is clear that as humans, we can often ignore God and trek out on our own ways. Where does that lead us though?
If we turn away from God's will and escape from His presence, I think it's safe to say that we will embark on a long, dark road.
 
Earlier in 1 Kings chapter 11, we read that Solomon turned away from God.
1 Kings 11:6 - "Solomon did what was evil in the sight of the Lord, and did not follow the Lord fully, as David his father had done."
He started to turn to other things to make him happy instead of earnestly seeking God and His will.
 
God doesn't want us to ignore His ways. However, He is not a puppet master. He gives us freedom to make choices. Of course, He wants us to trust Him because when we do, we bring glory to His name by the way we live.
1 Kings 11:9-10 "Now the Lord was angry with Solomon because his heart was turned away from the Lord, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice, and had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods, but he did not observe what the Lord had commanded."
 
As we live life, it can be hard to stay on God's path because of all the distractions around us. Things like money, jobs, relationships, can distract us from staying in God's direction. Thankfully, God knows that there will be times when we make a wrong turn away from Him, but He forgives us. He is always there waiting for us to direct our lives toward Him.

Isaiah 55:7-9 "Let the wicked forsake his way And the unrighteous man his thoughts; And let him return to the LORD, And He will have compassion on him, And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon. "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts."
 
So what do we do? Do we continue on our way? Or do we stop and redirect our lives toward God?
For me, I would say the latter. I know that I can mess up and make wrong decisions that can lead me down a path that I definitely don't want to go down. I want my life to be aligned with God because when my path is aligned with His path, I know that His glory will be revealed.
 
If you feel like you are going down the wrong path, ask God to align your life with His will. Pray for discernment and read the Bible to guide you in God's ways.
1 Kings 12:24 "...So they listened to the word of the Lord, and returned and went their way according to the word of the Lord."
 
If you are following along in the year long Bible reading plan, here is the schedule for this week:
Today: 1 Kings 15-17
Tuesday: 1 Kings 18-20
Wednesday: 1 Kings 21-22
Thursday: 2 Kings 1-3
Friday: 2 Kings 4-5
Saturday: 2 Kings 6-8
 
Don't forget to pray for the unreached people group of the day!
 
post signature
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)