Wednesday, May 15, 2013

longing to be home


Hey everyone!
I'm so sorry it's been awhile since I've come to chat with you!
Life sure does get crazy...I'm sure you can agree.

Anyway, I'd like to share my sermon notes from this past Sunday with you!


I don't know about you, but after a long, busy day, I can't wait to be home in my pajamas where I can relax.
There is nothing like being in the comfort of your own home, where you know where everything is and you're free to roam around without a care. 

The sad reality is that not everyone has a place called "home". 
Maybe they have a house, but they don't have a "home".
You see, there is a difference between houses and homes.
When you look up the definition of "house" you will find...
"a building in which people live".
When you look up the definition of "home", you will find...
"a house, apartment, or other shelter that is the usual 
residence of a person, family, or household" and "the place in which one's domestic affections are centered."
 
A house is simply a building, while a home is where "affections are centered."
A house is cold, while a home is warm and inviting.
A house is empty, while a home is full.

I don't know where you reside, whether it be a house or home or neither, but I do know that God has a home for you. Jesus says, "In my Father's house there are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you" (John 14:23). You see in the Greek translation, "house" translates to oikos, which means "household establishment".  "Dwelling places" translates to mone actually means "staying, abode". I think it's safe to say that it is in our homes where we stay.
 
Home resonates within the heart. When I think of my home, I think of my family, my pets, pictures on the walls, and where I am most comfortable. I don't think of the walls or the ceiling, I think of what is truly important to me-relationships.
 
Here are some quotes from Pastor Kevin:
"When God talks about home, the place He tells us about and calls us toward is a person (Jesus) and a relationship we can share."
"Home is something we truly resonate with."
"Home is where you gain comfort."
"A relationship with God builds a sweet home with you."
"You belong in the home/comfort of God."
"God's love is like a father/son relationship, it is not conditional...there is always a place for you."
 
I love this verse because it is a great reminder of God's big, loving heart that yearns to be in relationship with us. Each person matters to Him and to prove that, He has prepared a place for each and every one of us. How amazing is that?!
 
 I hate that I'm late in giving you the schedule for our Bible reading plan, but hey, better than late than never, right?!
 
Monday: 1 Kings 1-2
Tuesday: 1 Kings 3-5
Wednesday : 1 Kings 6-7
Thursday: 1 Kings 8-9
Friday: I Kings 10-11
Saturday: 1 Kings 12-14

Don't forget to pray for the unreached people group of the day!

post signature
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)