Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chicken Nuggets vs. Salvation

So if you don't know, today was a day to either support or boycott the Chick-fil-A CEO's belief in traditional same sex marriage. Usually, I don't get involved in things like this, but as I laid on the couch today looking at Facebook on my phone, I read many posts about Chick-fil-A and all of a sudden I got this HUGE craving for waffle fries and Chick-fil-A sauce! So I jumped in my truck around 1:45 and headed over there. I soon realized that a lot of people are joining in on Chick-fil-a Appreciation Day or they just might want some chicken. Anyway, the picture above was taken in my truck (don't worry, I wasn't moving) and it took me probably 10 minutes to get into a packed Kroger/Chick-fil-A parking lot. I would have stayed in my truck for the drive-thru, except that my AC isn't cooling like it should and I was low on gas and there was no telling how long I'd be there. After I finally found a free parking spot in the back, I headed into the restaurant. It was packed! The line was all the way to the door. It was so packed people could hardly move. Usually people get pretty agitated in confined spaces and in long lines especially when they're hungry, but as I scanned the room, there was nothing but smiling faces....no joke! As I'm waiting for my waffle fries, diet lemonade and of course, Chick-fil-A sauce, I had an epiphany and felt compelled to share it with you. My next blog was supposed to be about God's will, but I couldn't pass this opportunity up. Now don't worry I'm not going to talk about gay/lesbian marriage or the freedom of speech. This rally of supporters made me think. So think about this....why can't Christ followers make a statement like these Chick-fil-A lovers (me included)? I mean, yeah you get chicken nuggets and waffle fries (yum!), but you get salvation and eternal life from Christ! PLUS, unlike the chicken nuggets, you don't have to pay to be saved! It's free! It's a gift! All you have to do is believe. So I don't know about you, but I think salvation is a lot more important than chicken nuggets. So why aren't we, as believers, rallying together about what Jesus Christ has done for us? The CEO made a statement about his beliefs on marriage, but Jesus (a perfect man) died on the cross for you and all your mess ups! Talk about a statement! He didn't grill you up a chicken sandwich, He gave you more! He gave you grace and forgiveness all because He LOVES you! All the CEO has done has provided us some good food and he gets all this support? I don't get why we can't get excited about Jesus like this. We should have a Jesus Appreciation Day everyday! That's how we should live. We should be bold. We should take action. I heard a mother saying she had been to that Chick-fil-A twice that day and each time she brought more people with her. Why can't we invite people to church like that? In fact, this "appreciation day" was such a big deal that it made it on the news. Can you imagine if there was more of Jesus on the news? I saw on the news that a man and his family were going there for each meal today. Why can't we be that devoted? Now I'm not going to say that I am bold, because I'm not. I'm guilty of sitting back and letting the world pass me by. So I'm writing to myself, too. I'm guilty and trying to change that. I think this world would be a much nicer place if Christ followers were this devoted, excited and bold. So think about how you can be more bold about your faith or beliefs (whatever you may believe). How can you make a statement? How can you show your appreciation to God for all that He has done for you? I didn't think driving 10 minutes and waiting for 30 minutes at Chick-fil-A would make such an impact on me, but it did. It really made me think. I'm sorry if this entry seemed jumbled or negative. My goal was to just make you think about and how you can make a statement of appreciation for what Christ has done for you. If you're heading out to Chick-fil-A today, maybe take advantage of the wait and talk to people about your beliefs. 2 Timothy 1:7 - For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. I Corinthians 16:13 - Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong. Peace! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)