Tuesday, June 18, 2013

leaving a legacy


 
So I know it's Tuesday and I normally post "Sermon notes" on Sunday, because that's when I go to church. However, I've been crazy busy the past few days so "Sermon notes" on Tuesday will just have to work. :)

I went to my parent's church on Sunday because it was Father's Day and boy, am I glad I did?!
Pastor Brian gave the message and it is now in my top 3 sermons that I've ever heard.

As a church, they've been journeying through a sermon series over "legacy". I believe this sermon was the last of the series, but even though I came in on the last, it was still wonderful!

Since we'll be talking about leaving a "legacy", I think it is only appropriate to know the definition...
According to Webster's dictionary, a legacy is "something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past".

 I think of legacy as leaving a lasting impact...influencing those who follow after you.
 
Have you ever wanted to make a difference in the world?
If you have, I would say you want to leave a legacy. I think that's a wonderful thing! However, what kind of a legacy do you want to leave?
 
A legacy of materialism?
A legacy of charity?
A legacy of judgment?
A legacy of acceptance?
A legacy of hatred?
A legacy of love?
 
As Christians, we should strive to leave a legacy.
Not just any legacy, but a legacy of worth.
A lasting impact that is life-giving.
 
Pastor Brian outlined it in this way...
 
1) To leave a legacy of worth:
A) we must widen our circle
*we should get past ourselves, our families, our friends and reach out to others...people who we normally do not associate with.*
B) imagine the end
*Remember that God is always on His throne...this can relieve the stress that we may face.*
 
2) There is a war raging! And the battle ground is the hearts of God's, image bearing people.
*We are all made in God's image (Genesis 1:27 - So God created mankind in His own image, in the image of God he created them.)*
*It is in our hearts where we face struggle."
 
3) Moses knows that leaving a legacy of worth means love for the hearts of people.
*Love people for who they are...for what is in their hearts, instead of what you think they're about.*
 
4) Fighting for the hearts of people is always better than fighting with people.
*When we fight with people: we want to win, we build up walls, we don't listen, and we act out of selfishness.*
When we fight for people: we want them to win, we break down walls, we listen, and we act out of selflessness.*
 
Pastor Brian used the story of Jesus and the adulteress in John 8.
Many theologians have questioned what Jesus was writing on the ground, but Pastor Brian encouraged us to focus on Jesus' posture. He knelt down to the ground, just as the woman did in shame and fear of being in shame. Instead of Jesus standing and pointing his finger at the woman, He got down on her level and fought for her.
That is exactly how we should live. Instead of pointing the finger at someone, we should step in their shoes and fight for them.
 This point was my favorite out of the whole sermon...talk about convicting!
 
5) When it comes to communicating rules, regulations, and obedience, it's always best to do it with love.
*I think it is so easy for us to tell people what they should and shouldn't do, with a judgmental demeanor. Instead, we should always act out of love, because that is life-giving.*
 
"Love is the way to a legacy of worth."
 
So what kind of legacy are you going to leave?
 
Don't forget to pray for the unreached people group of the day!
 
Reading plan for the week:
Monday: 2 Chronicles 6-8
Tuesday: 2 Chronicles 9-12
Wednesday: 2 Chronicles 13-17
Thursday: 2 Chronicles 18-20
Friday: 2 Chronicles 21-24
Saturday: 2 Chronicles 25-27
 
 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)