Monday, April 7, 2014

Music Monday: Cannot Keep You

Well, I just got back from my LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Doctor) and had a great appointment! So many of my symptoms are gone and my physical exam was the best yet! He even is letting me stop some of my meds...wohooo!! I'm closer to the finish line than ever before and it feels good :) Please continue to keep me in your prayers.




Anywho, today is Music Monday!
A lot of times I discover songs through Pandora. So I have random pieces of paper laying around the house with different song titles. Today's song was written down probably almost a year ago and I'm finally sharing it with you! Oopsie. 

It's called "Cannot Keep You" by Michael Gungor. One of his most popular songs is, "Beautiful Things" (love, love, LOVE that song), as well as, "White Man" (too cute...you know you want to look it up ;) ,  but "Cannot Keep You" isn't as well known so I figured I'd shine the spotlight on it today. 




Cannot Keep You
"They tried to keep you in a tent
They could not keep you in a temple
Or any of their idols, to see and understand


We cannot keep you in a church
We cannot keep you in a Bible
Or it's just another idol to box you in


They could not keep you in their walls
We cannot keep you in ours either
For you are so much greater

Who is like the Lord?

The maker of the heavens
Who dwells with the poor
He lifts them from the ashes
And He seats them among princess
Who is like the Lord?


We've tried to keep you in our tents
We've tried to keep you in our temples
We've worshiped all our idols
We want all that to end


So we will find you in the streets
And we will find you in the prisons
And even in our Bibles and churches

Who is like the Lord

The maker of the heavens
Who dwells with the poor
He lifts them from the ashes
And He seats them among princes
Who is like the Lord


We cannot contain, cannot contain
The glory of your name


You took me from the ashes
And you healed me from my blindness
Who is like the Lord"

Not to bash the church, because I love the church, but it has to be said...sometimes we (the church) like to keep God all to ourselves. The truth is, God isn't only for the church but He is for all, even those who don't believe in Him. Sometimes we focus on the people in our church more (which they should be cared for). Sometimes we focus on our own ministries more, when instead we should be getting outside of the church walls. That's why I love this song, because it gives us a visual of our God who doesn't dwell only in buildings. 

"So we will find you in the streets and we will find you in the prisons and even in our Bibles and churches. Who is like the Lord?" God is not only pursuing the church goers, but He is pursuing the people on the streets. He is pursuing the people in the prisons. He is pursuing the people in the hospitals. He is pursuing people in America. He is pursuing people in every nation. He cannot be put in a box and if we keep Him there, we are doing a disservice to Him and all of the people who do not know Him. Therefore, if God is pursuing all people, we should pursue all people for "we cannot contain the glory of Your name." 

What lyrics speak to you? 
I'd love to hear your thoughts!




post signature






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)