Friday, April 18, 2014

Why??

I can count on two hands, times where I have been so extremely thankful for answers.
Three that stand out in particular.
The day I found out I have Lyme Disease. All the puzzle pieces of strange symptoms came together.
The day (today) I found out the reason behind my chronic chest pain, as well as other symptoms.

Both times started out with, "Why??" and both ended with, "Ohh, that makes sense."
Both times it took awhile to arrive at.
Both times I dreaded the answer and yet yearned for the answer.
Both times that didn't feel good once I had my answer and yet a sense of relief.
Both times presented complex answers and complex treatments.
What started out with a "Why?", now ended with, "Now, I know why."

Now that I have these answers, I can be on my road to recovery.
It makes me think of this special day, Good Friday.
The day where our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified.
The day that has caused me (and I'm sure, many people) to ask the question, "Why?"

So many of the events leading up all the way to the crucifixion can seem puzzling.
Why would Jesus present the wine and bread as His body and blood at His last supper with the disciples? (Luke 22:17-20)
Why would Jesus heal the soldier's ear who came to arrest Him? (Luke 22:49-51)
Why did Jesus let Herod and the others mock him? (Luke 22:8-12)
Why did Jesus ask God to "forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing?" (Luke 23:34)
Why did Jesus tell the thief on the cross next to him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise"? (Luke 23:43)
Why would Jesus die for me, a sinner? 

All of these questions are often chased around with different, complex theological possibilities.
Answers that sometimes we get caught up in.
However, amongst all the possible complexities, we can rest assured on one simple, yet powerful answer...
Because He loves us.
Because He wanted to show how far He will go to forgive us.
He did all of those things, because love completes His being.

We can question, search, discuss all the details about Christ's journey to prove His love, but we can always end with the beautiful truth...
"How deep the Father's love for us.
How vast beyond all measure,
that He would give His only Son,
to make a wretch His treasure."
It's that answer that I will forever be most grateful.


Check out the song by "Why" Nicole Nordeman!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic, Chelsea! Powerful. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Fiona! I'm excited about Wednesday. About to start working on it :)

      Delete

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)