Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Following in Your Footsteps: With Your Help


The last post in the series, I talked about how living a life following in Christ's footsteps can be difficult. Wouldn't you agree?
 I mean that is a tall order to live like Christ, right?

In my opinion, my answer to that question would be a simple, "yes".
Jesus is perfect, while I, on the other hand, have never been perfect one day in my life. So how am I expected to follow in Christ's footsteps?

Thankfully, I don't think God expects me to be perfect.
In fact, He has sent us a helper. Did you know that?
We call that helper, the Holy Spirit.

God knows that we can't do this on our own. Because He is so loving, He wanted to help us out, so God has sent Himself in the form of the Holy Spirit.

John 14:16-18 says, "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.
 “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."

This should offer us confidence and comfort to know that the Holy Spirit is with us...to guide us, to comfort us, and to love us. Stepping out of our houses and into the world would normally cause us anxiety, but knowing that God has sent us a Helper should motivate us to go out and walk in Christ's light.

How gracious and loving it is, that Jesus would not leave us out on our own to live in a chaotic world, but to be by our side every minute of the day.
I don't know about you, but I often forget this truth.

Rachel Held Evans says in her book, A Year of Biblical Womanhood (which I will talk about later ;), "The same applies to faith. One need not to be a saint, or even a mother, to become a bearer of God. One needs only to obey. The divine resides in all of us, but it is our choice to magnify it or to diminish it, to ignore it or to surrender to its lead."

 I think I would be a better follower of Christ if I woke up every morning and said, "Christ in me, give me the tools and the confidence to live out your love today. May I align my life with Your characteristics so that people will come to know You. Help me to hear Your voice, feel Your love, and see Your will. I can only do this with Your help. Amen."
 
 Readings for the week:
Monday: Proverbs 13-15
Tuesday: Proverbs 16-18
Wednesday: Proverbs 19-21
Thursday: Proverbs 22-23
Friday: Proverbs 24-26
Saturday: Proverbs 27-29
 
post signature
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)