Monday, September 10, 2012

Have a BIG decision to make?

We all make decisions. We make decisions constantly. You made the decision to read this blog entry. We make little decisions, big decisions, irrelevant decisions, and important decisions. We are decision makers 24/7.
 We must be pros at decision making, but are we?

I don't know about you, but I've definitely had problems in the decision making department. If you are close to me, you know this to be true and you're probably say something to the effect of, "boy ain't that the truth!" I'm sorry guys, that it takes me 30 minutes to make a decision, but in every relationship there is a "decision maker" and a "decision maker-follower"...I'm the latter, so know this, I would be lost without you!

You're probably thinking, "Chelsea, you are 22 year old, college graduate. You should be able to make your own decisions." I know. I'm an adult now. I must make my own decisions. So lately, I've been working on the decision making. Not the small, irrelevant decisions like McDonald's or Burger King (I skipped those...because I'm brave like that... haha) but the BIG, important decision making. Decisions that can affect our walk with God. Well, do you want to hear my secret?

A lot of times we make earthly decisions for heavenly matters. Let that sink in.
 
What's wrong with that statement? Earthly and heavenly don't match up. We can't make stupid, impulsive decisions and expect for our walk with God to be strengthened. Of course, God can bring good out of the bad, but we can't go making unwise decisions and be waiting on a great outcome. For example:
  • A woman can't marry a guy just because he is good looking and assume it will be a blessed marriage. This is a heavenly matter, because God calls the husband to be a spiritual leader to his wife. Just because he's cute, doesn't mean he is going to be a spiritual leader for his wife. And vice versa. A wife is called to encourage and serve her husband.
  • A man can't accept a job, just because it will satisfy his hunger and love for money and expect that he will be blessed. This is a heavenly matter, because we should work  according to God's call despite how much money we make.
 
Here are my secrets to good decision making skills:
1. Pray/Read Bible - pray for discernment, open mind, & obedience in God's will.
2. Seek counsel - Find someone who has your best interest in mind, knows you well & preferbly, a Godly mentor.
3. Pray again. Never hurts to pray. Pray for open doors & closed doors.
4. Wait. Don't expect an answer right away. Decide when you feel at peace with a decision. If you are still worried/anxious when you make the decision, you might want to do some more praying.
5. Pray for discernment of time/how and courage to make decision.
6. Make decision!
 
Psalm 119:115 - Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
Proverbs 15:22 - Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.
Romans 8:28 - And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart;do not depend on your own understanding.Seek his will in all you do,and he will show you which path to take.
 
So what's your big decision to make? 
I pray that you make a heavenly one!
 
Don't forget your 30 minute fast of your possession! Let me know how it goes! I fasted from mine and got this blog out of it! Funny how God works ;)
 


 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)