Wednesday, August 13, 2014

When joy dies

So I told myself that I wouldn't blog about the death of Robin Williams, because everyone is doing it.
Well, clearly I have turned my back on my oath and now blogging about Robin Williams.
Everyone's Facebook newsfeeds have been covered in clips and pictures of Robin Williams. Just a little while ago, someone posted a video Jimmy Fallon doing a tribute to him so we watched it.
Before it began, I was wondering, "Wow, this man really touched many, many peoples' lives...what was so different about him than other comedians and actors?"
Now don't get me wrong, he is one of my favorite actors. In fact, Mrs. Doubtfire is one of my favorite movies. It has just been amazing to me what an influence he has had on SO many people.
As I was watching the tribute I found my answer...joy.
That was what was different about Robin Williams, I think.
He clearly brought so much joy to life. He didn't seem like he was different on camera, than off.
Joy seemed to radiate through him or at least that is what it seemed.
When joy dies, of course, many, many people are affected.
He was a source of joy for many and now he's gone.
That's a tough pill to swallow for many of us.
It makes me think when true joy died two thousand years ago.
I can't imagine how Mary, Mary Magdeline, and the disciples (along with many, many others) felt when Jesus was crucified.
It's tough to lose such an amazing comedian and actor because he brought so much joy to our lives.
However, it's even more tough for me to think of the day when Jesus died because he is the true source of joy.
Thanks be to God, our joy was not taken away forever, but three days later, our joy was risen again.
I feel like this post would be great for Easter time, but then again, I don't think we can ever be reminded enough of the amazing joy that the two Marys' and the disciples must have felt when joy was resurrected that very normal, yet sacred day.
This joyful truth can hopefully remind us in our deepest, most sorrowful times in life, that Our Joy of Jesus never leaves us. He's always here for us waiting.
I'm not sure what was going on in Robin's life or what he might have been facing, but this terrible time of loss for his family (and everyone else for that matter) can be a reminder of how important it is to seek joy and seek joy for others, as well.
Find joy in the deep crevices of life even when financial burdens, illnesses, and broken relationships seem to be filling in around us.
However, when depression takes over it can be hard, practically impossible to find joy, but realizing that we need joy is our first step.
Finding joy in Christ and his resurrection and sharing it with others who may be struggling should be one of our top priorities, because when joy dies...life dies.
Let's try our best to keep joy alive.
Prayers for Robin William's family, those who are struggling with depression, and the rest of us, that we might go out of our way to bring joy into someone's life.
via
Mrs. Doubtfire, Patch Adams, Jack, and License to Wed will always be in my top favorite movies :)
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)