Saturday, April 13, 2013

pursuing me


 
A lot of people have this preconceived idea that God is distant and we have to work to reach Him. That He is looking down, watching and waiting for us to serve Him, giving nothing in return.
If you feel this way, I hope that I can change your mind.
 
You see, God made us to be in relationship with us.
He didn't make us only so that we can serve Him so that He can do nothing.
It's not a one way relationship. It's a two way relationship.
First, God loved us. Because He loves us, we love Him.
Since He loves us, He provides for us so that His glory shall be revealed.
Because He provides for us, we in turn should serve Him.
 
Yesterday, I read Joshua 22-24. I'd like to share with you what stood out to me.

"Then Joshua gathered all the tribes of Israel to Shechem, and called for the elders of Israel and for their heads and their judges and their officers; and they presented themselves before God. Joshua said to all the people, “Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, ‘From ancient times your fathers lived beyond the River, namely, Terah, the father of Abraham and the father of Nahor, and they served other gods.  Then I took your father Abraham from beyond the River, and led him through all the land of Canaan, and multiplied his descendants and gave him Isaac.  To Isaac I gave Jacob and Esau, and to Esau I gave Mount Seir to possess it; but Jacob and his sons went down to Egypt. Then I sent Moses and Aaron, and I plagued Egypt by what I did in its midst; and afterward I brought you out.  I brought your fathers out of Egypt, and you came to the sea; and Egypt pursued your fathers with chariots and horsemen to the Red Sea.  But when they cried out to the Lord, He put darkness between you and the Egyptians, and brought the sea upon them and covered them; and your own eyes saw what I did in Egypt. And you lived in the wilderness for a long time.  Then I brought you into the land of the Amorites who lived beyond the Jordan, and they fought with you; and I gave them into your hand, and you took possession of their land when I destroyed them before you.  Then Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, arose and fought against Israel, and he sent and summoned Balaam the son of Beor to curse you.  But I was not willing to listen to Balaam. So he had to bless you, and I delivered you from his hand. You crossed the Jordan and came to Jericho; and the citizens of Jericho fought against you, and the Amorite and the Perizzite and the Canaanite and the Hittite and the Girgashite, the Hivite and the Jebusite. Thus I gave them into your hand. Then I sent the hornet before you and it drove out the two kings of the Amorites from before you, but not by your sword or your bow.  I gave you a land on which you had not labored, and cities which you had not built, and you have lived in them; you are eating of vineyards and olive groves which you did not plant.’“Now, therefore, fear the Lord and serve Him in sincerity and truth; and put away the gods which your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:1-14
 
Did you catch the theme of the passage?
God was basically saying to the people of Israel, "See what I've done for you?!"
Clearly, God pursues.
He is the ultimate pursuer. No one pursues like He does.
He is not a selfish God, but He is a selfless God.
He didn't have to do any of that. The people definitely didn't deserve it, but He did it anyway! His grace and mercy never ceases to amaze me.
 
Ladies, I'm sure you could agree with me that it's a nice feeling to be pursued. Knowing that a guy is willing to go out of his way to make you feel special is affirming.
 
Let me say it again, God pursues us.
It's not that we are pursuing God, but He pursued us first.
Isn't that amazing?!
The creator of the Universe is always pursuing you.
 
He proves this to us by...
1. Creating us
2. Providing for us
3. Most importantly, sending His son, Jesus, as a sacrifice to save us and, through that, offering us eternal life if we believe in Him.
 
If that isn't pursuing us, then I don't know what is!
In believing this truth, we feel special, loved and excited.  In response, we desire to return the love that He has proven us.
 
Any other religion would disagree with me.
They would say that God is far and distant, but I say...
He is near and pursuing us.
 
Look around you and see that God has pursued you.
He has pursued you through the rising of the sun.
He has pursued you through your newborn baby.
He has pursued you through the cross.
 
Thank Him for all that He has done for you, and let that be the motivation to give your life in service to God.
 
Check out this song, "He Knows My Name" by Paul Baloche.
 
 
Don't forget to pray for the unreached people group of the day!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)